How to Naturally Abort a Migraine:
N.B. If you have tried all / most of the self-management tips below and still have not achieved relief…come in and see your Headache Consultant as soon as possible. (We will endeavour to fit you in that same day or as soon as possible in most cases)
- Retraction Exercises / Head slides (a powerful Self-treatment tool – likely already shown to you by your Headache Consultant). The Institute protocol is 4 x 30 seconds holds x 4 sets Daily!
N.B. don’t forget over pressure applied to the chin…and relax and breathe deeply.
- Ice pack / Cold compress to the base of the skull / upper neck region.
(Can be applied for 20-30 mins every 2 hours – lying down is best)
The humble Ice pack reduces nerve inflammation and pain).
- Thoracic or upper back Extension exercise over a towel / pool noodle / foam roller – Laying on the towel or pool noodle place your arms up over head and concentrate on relaxed deep breathing (as shown to you in clinic). This helps break some of the scalene muscle breathing tightness and Neck / Upper back stiffness and allows time to relax the mind. This position also puts your neck into a retracted and extended position of ease – which in turn with relaxed breathing helps switch off muscle spasm.
- Apply Fisiocrem (or similar), natural topical anti-inflammatory (also with nerve de-sensitizers in it) to the upper neck and shoulder region – and even forehead and temples can help. (can apply this hourly before, during and after an attack for relief)
- Go for a walk – get outside – away from the desk or a stressful situation and take deep breaths and roll the shoulders and even release any toxic thoughts.
- Take your evidenced based Nutritional supplements (if you haven’t already today) Either our in-house combined practitioner brand or individual B and C group Vitamins, Magnesium, CoQ10, etc. (the full list of evidence based
- Relax, Meditate, Listen to Music. Be aware of the tension and tight shallow breathing that is likely building and break this cycle and build up with deep breathing (details in next point) and relaxing – anything to reduce stress in muscle and nerves!
- Deep Breathing Exercises: if you can find a quiet space, lay or sit comfortably, palms facing upward, eyes shut, then: Inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 1 second, out for 4 seconds. Slow the rate with each breath and relax the neck and shoulder muscles as best you can. Repeat 10 x or more and feel the tension release.
- Have something to eat and Drink a few glasses of water (sipping slowly)
The Headache + Migraine Clinic
Telephone: 1300 HOPE 4 YOU (1300 467 349)
Brisbane West (Springfield Central)
Suite 3, Level 1, Orion Springfield Central
1 Main Street, Springfield Central QLD 4300